Monday, February 28, 2011

Roasted Turkey and Brown Rice Soup with Harvest Vegetables

I have had so many requests from my twitter and facebook fans for a soup recipe this year, that I couldn't let anybody down. With so many great recipes in my repertoire some hot, cold, creamy, hearty, exotic and classic I decided to make a simple and satisfying soup that is just the perfect antidote for those cozy evenings at home.

Using a few of the seasons organic harvest vegetables I bought from the local farmers market and leftover oven roasted turkey (I prepared 2 days prior), I created this healthy, delicious and comforting soup.


Roast Turkey and Brown Rice Soup with Harvest Vegetables
4 c. Oven Roasted Turkey Breast, Chopped, Medium Diced
9 c. Rich Chicken Broth or Roasted Turkey Stock
1 c. Brown Basmati Rice
2 c. Organic Celery Hearts, Chopped w/Tops Chopped
4 ea. Organic Carrots, Halved and Chopped (skin-on)
½ Large White Onion, Diced, Small
½ Pkg. French Green Beans
2 ea. Roma Tomatoes, Small Diced
2 Tbs. EVO
2 Bay Leaves
1 tsp. Dried Thyme
1 tsp. Dried Parsley
Sea Salt & Pepper to taste

Method:
In a large stock pot add the EVO, celery, carrot and onion, saute about 2 minutes or until translucent but still firm. Add the bay leaves, thyme, parsley and cook for another minute. Add the broth/stock and cook on medium-high heat. Bring to a boil and add the brown basmati rice, reduce the heat, cover and simmer for about 20 minutes. After 20 minutes add the turkey, French beans and tomatoes, simmer for about 5-8 more minutes. Serve and enjoy!

This good for you gluten-free soup is nutritionally packed with brown basmati rice, protein rich chopped turkey breast, harvest vegetables and a rich, savory broth, (which I encourage you to make the broth from scratch).

Serve with a small Spinach and Boston bibb lettuce salad tossed in a Lemon-Mustard Vinaigrette and you've got an all-in-one filling, satisfying, healthy, yet comforting meal, that will make you feel good on the inside and keep you looking great on the outside.






3 comments:

  1. That sounds totally delicious and I'll be giving it a try. I love cooking and experimenting with flavours. I can see I'm going to be busy going through all your recipe's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you Pete! Experimentation is the key to an interesting and fulfilling life. Don't forget to have fun creating the recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would like to get across my appreciation for your kindness for men who really want assistance with the subject matter. Your special dedication to getting the solution around had been extremely helpful and has truly empowered others just like me to arrive at their aims. Your personal informative key points can mean much to me and far more to my colleagues. With thanks; from each one of us.
    rice with least amount of arsenic

    ReplyDelete